JOB ANNOUNCEMENT – EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Visit Yolo / Yolo County Visitors Bureau
Salary $70,000 – $85,000, plus contribution to health care and deferred compensation
Visit Yolo is offering an exciting opportunity for a highly qualified, innovative and creative candidate to serve as its Executive Director. Current imperatives, challenges and opportunities for Visit Yolo include:
- Promoting Yolo County and the cities of Davis, Winters and Woodland as desirable destinations for meetings, weddings, sporting events, festivals, small conventions and other events that draw overnight visitors from other regions;
- Marketing the attractions and unique character of Yolo County and the distinctive characteristics of Davis, Winters and Woodland in accordance with the marketing pillars identified by these communities, such as farm-to-fork, arts, culture and history, recreation, food and agriculture and business/university;
- Implementing creative and contemporary strategies for long-term growth in hotel room sales;
- Achieving the mission of “Championing the extraordinary communities of Yolo County.”
The Executive Director will be responsible for all program areas, including program development, internal operations, marketing, public relations, visitor services, community relations, finance, and public affairs. Reporting to the 12-member Board of Directors, the new Visit Yolo Executive Director will work with numerous stakeholders including City and County residents, business leaders, civic representatives, community groups, government officials, other destination marketing organizations, and tourism experts. The Executive Director will be supported by a full-time PR & Communications Director and a full-time Events and Marketing Coordinator, as well as contract support on an as-needed basis.
ABOUT VISIT YOLO
Visit Yolo (Yolo County Visitors Bureau) is a multi-jurisdictional destination marketing organization that works to encourage overnight visitors to the communities of Davis, Winters, Woodland, and unincorporated Yolo County. Last year, Visit Yolo entered into a new 5-Year Tourism Business Improvement District Management Plan with the County Board of Supervisors that increased the hotel assessment to 2% for the purposes of marketing the assessed areas to overnight travelers. Visit Yolo’s 2018-19 budget is expected to be in excess of $800,000 and will likely increase with the addition of as many as 7 new hotels in upcoming years. Visit Yolo is nearing completion of major updates to the Bylaws, Policies & Procedures and Employee Handbook in order to strengthen the organization and secure its future.
Visit Yolo partners with city and county leadership, UC Davis, and numerous other civic and promotional agencies in the region. The Visit Yolo office and visitor center is located in downtown Davis and offers visitors a variety of tourism maps/guides for each city in Yolo County, as well as information on hotels, transportation, wineries, museums, galleries, shopping and restaurants. Visit Yolo also offers a full range of information services to tourists through its website (visityolo.com) and is a one-stop-shop consultation and brokering service for event and meeting planners.
The successful candidate will have proven experience successfully leading destination marketing and tourism programs, including demonstrated strategic leadership skills; direct program development; and management of internal operations, marketing, public relations, visitor services, community relations, finance, and public affairs. The strongest candidate will also be mission driven and self-directed, and will demonstrate passion, idealism, integrity, and a positive attitude. Demonstrated success working with Boards of Directors, and the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships is highly desirable.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a directly related field is required, a related Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible experience in destination marketing, promotions, public relations and/or event management, at least two of which must have been in destination marketing at the executive or management level.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of destination marketing and tourism practices and programs;
- Working knowledge of the principles of leadership and effective program administration;
- Demonstrated ability to apply the principles of sound financial management including budget forecasting, reporting and administration;
- Demonstrated ability to develop new insights into situations and develop and implement innovative solutions; demonstrates a focus on continuous improvement;
- Demonstrated ability to assess current and future staffing needs to achieve organizational goals within available financial resources;
- Ability to lead, develop and supervise a team of professional staff;
- Demonstrated flexibility, with the ability to appropriately respond to change and new information;
- Ability to utilize technology in an efficient and cost-effective manner;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the demonstrated ability to be a persuasive and effective communicator;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the demonstrated ability to build consensus and gain cooperation, ability to develop networks and build alliances;
- Knowledge of local government, business service organizations, the hospitality industry and local attractions in the region is preferred;
- Knowledge of the provisions and requirements of the Ralph M. Brown Act is desired.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified individuals who would like to be considered for the Visit Yolo Executive Director should submit a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com by the filing deadline. Candidates who present qualifications that most closely meet the requirements of the position will be invited to proceed further in the selection process, which may include responding to supplemental questions, interviews with the Selection Committee of the Board (tentatively scheduled for May 2) and/or interviews with the Board of Directors. Candidates will be subject to a background check prior to hire.
The candidate resume and cover letter are to electronically submitted in PDF format and should be accompanied with a cover e-mail with the title “Visit Yolo ED Recruitment” in the Subject field. The cover letter should include, at a minimum, the following information:
- A summary of your qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position. Include information about your experience in managerial/executive leadership, budget/finance, governance and personnel management, and destination marketing.
- An example of your experience establishing, growing and leading an organization with regional impact. Identify the name of the organization in which this experience was gained, the stakeholders in the process, and your specific role in the undertaking.
- A statement about why you believe your education, training and experience make you the best candidate for this position.
All required application materials are to be submitted no later than 5:00PM on April 6, 2018.
Candidates unable to file application materials electronically should contact Tiffany Dozier at 530-297-1900 ext. 3 for filing instructions.